Friday, November 21, 2008

Mixed media


Kim and Yoshi, 2007 Richard Renaldi

It's the tail end of my Friday shift at the St. Petersburg times. The desert of empty space before the weekend. I'm done with all of my work and I've resorted to perusing the dregs of the Internet and filling my ears with This American Life.

Aside: The new episode is excellent, listen to it.

Ira is doing his sign off, the show is over and I think that's it... and then this weird sad music comes on. I quickly cruise over to the website to figure out who is making this bizarre sound.

It's Antony and the Johnsons. I'm moving at Internet speed so I've clicked, looked and I'm already on to something else but I let his eerie voice keep piping through my headphones.

And then I come across this photo project. It's like 100Strangers on steroids.

Read the interview if you want but wait to click to his actual project.

When I scrolled through Richard Renaldi's work that Antony and Johnsons was still playing in the background.

The combination of the sound and the visual did something. It was sort of over the top but powerful none the less.

Give it a shot. Here it is in seven steps.

1. Find headphones and put them on.

2. Click this and listen to The Lake

3. Wait a second... maybe a few seconds... is he singing?

4. It's a little cheesy and weird I know but bear with me. Keep the music playing.

5. Open up a new tab or a new window or whatever. Now click this.

6. Scroll through...

7. Let me know what you think.

No comments: