Monday, November 17, 2008

The old camera dilemma...

I've always liked the idea of vintage things. Growing up my mom owned a vintage clothing store called Strange Cargo so it's sort of ingrained in me. I don't know what it is exactly but there's just something about things from the past the strike a chord with me.

This passion extends to cameras as well but there always seems to be the same dilemma. I find these little gems at the thrift store. Small plastic beauties like this..

or this...

They call out, beckoning to be used. I take them home thinking of all the fun I might have with them and then discover the inevitable. They ultimately use some bizarre size of film that has either been discontinued or is only available by mail order from New York or some other far off place.

Short of learning how to process in a darkroom does anyone know of any sources for old film in the Tampa Bay Area. Namely 110 film and wait... while googling for a link I found this. I may have just answered my own question.

Arghh shouldn't post rambling posts after a night of Old Smuggler I suppose.

1 comment:

invisible monster said...

I feel the same way about typewriters. While the laptop is comforting, warm, familiar... there's something about the snapsnap of the typebars against paper that sends shivers down my spine. Now, if only I could find ribbons for them all. Direct correlation to your film conundrum, I guess =)

ps: I'll take you up on that bike ride offer. Just let me know when...