Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Catching up (guts full of Cuban delicious. Sort of bullets)

As I mentioned I might in the previous post, I did indeed go to 1905 Day at the Columbia and it was magical...



The lines were long, stretching around the the side of the restaurant in double file and were populated mostly by gray haired Cuban food enthusiasts and every brand of yokel (I mean this in the most sensitive way) you could possibly imagine.

Forty minutes of gawking at the distant doorway and muttering expletives was rewarded with a small ticket that allowed us to come back three hours later and enjoy turn of the century pricing.

The food was incredible and the sangria flowed like water. After about two hours of forcing massive piles of black beans and rice, hot fresh Cuban bread, and special 1905 salads down our throats we were ready to roll away dazed and content.

Outside the air was warm and the edges of the day seemed to have softened. A Zen like calm had descended over the world, the silence was a beautiful poem. The Columbia is an incredible place, transcendent in a way. I know I'll be back there... for 1905 Day next year (what can I say, I'm cheap).

But...

That was Sunday and now Tuesday is almost over and I'm running the risk of becoming complacent with my posts. So here are some bullet points in homemade shorthand:

Monday - Interview with the St. Petersburg Times for a job as an editorial assistant. I might use my degree for something after all. Aimless Walking through downtown at lunch hour, coffee sipping and lazy glances at the world of downtown Tampa professionalism. Naps and casual reads. Sleepover.

Today - French pressed coffee and backseat Jaguar rides. Procrastination in the form of apartment cleaning and organizing. Bike rides in the sweet heat of fading summer/early fall. Errands. Meetings with German couchsurfers who are calling my floor home for tonight. Graduation from hospice class (soon I will be meeting with the near dead). And off to liter night to guzzle some sort of delicious brew.

See you in between sips?


2 comments:

Fierce fashionista said...

How did your Times interview go? Good luck!

Daniel Reskin said...

Damn you guys are having super cool times and I miss you all very much! Butt lovers. Sweet slideshow!