Saturday, September 27, 2008

Slow ride, take it easy or Tampa Critical Mass


The weather was perfect on Friday night so I decided force my self off of the couch and into the Tampa Critical Mass ride.

I caught the pack on Tampa Street. About 50 bike enthusiasts riding all manner of two wheeled contraption were meandering through downtown with bells ringing and voices yelling out to declare the greatness of the bicycle.

The pace was slow and easy. The air was cool almost crisp.

I didn't finish the ride but I stayed with it through Ybor, there's just something special about the feeling you get riding down seventh in the middle of a bike pack...

After ditching the ride I soon discovered how hard it is to find beer in the wide open urban nowhere that makes up the space between Ybor and downtown.

Cruising aimlessly on my search I stopped to ask a rough looking vagrant if he new where I could get some cold brews. "The store," he said and vaguely pointed down a dark and scary street.

He was right and cold 12-pack of Keystone's finest light lager was mine. I packed it into my bag, handed two beers to the homeless guys in front of the store and rode back to reward the vagrant for his tip.

With nine beers weighing heavy on my back I pedaled off to Cafe Hey to quench my thirst and watch the first presidential debate.

Fun times...

Tired now.

Maybe Orpheum tonight. Who knows?

No comments: