Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Limits?

Today was the first day of my second ever paying gig as a photographer. It's a simple assignment. Nothing too crazy (unlike what my photo idol has been up to) just candid shots of people milling about at a Florida Main Street Association function.

I thought it would be easy enough but in fact it was a bit more difficult than I expected. Armed with my good old XTi and my clunker 285HV I strolled boldly into the breach of silver haired cocktail holding event goers and started popping off frames.

The lighting was overhead tungsten, a bit low but it didn't seem too challenging but when I looked down at my LCD the results were less than fantastic. I just couldn't seem to find the exposure balance that I needed. When I finally did start getting something to work the crowd was already moving on to watch awards being handed out.

I have yet to check the results on a bigger screen but I'm a little worried. I need to be faster and more accurate with my settings. The 285HV is challenging because it doesn't synch automatically with my camera so getting the light right is all up to me... Ho hum. Whine whine.

Tomorrow is another day and I'll have another opportunity to make this better. I'm hoping some well spent time in front of Lightroom will help me salvage what I did today.

Oh well, we live and we learn.

On an unrelated note I took some fun portraits yesterday. Cross lighting, snoots, masks and American flags blend together to for some creepy results... Below is an example of what I like to do with my free time.

God bless

It makes me laugh every time I look at it. Great. Anyway I'm exhausted. Good night for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting peice. I'm on the fence with me feelings about the cartoonish eyebrows and lips, although I doubt my opinion is worth much in the art world. I'm sure it kept your attention far more than your current gig.
Sorry your lighting sucks, but hopefully the pics will come out OK.

Daniel Reskin said...

That picture is the fucking shit!

MAKE THAT PAYPAH!